Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: ordering clay

From: Martha Ulakovits (MSQU_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 21:23:40 PDT

  A 20 lb bag usually gives me 25 softball size pieces of clay. Since my
budget was so small for so many years, I could not afford to buy glaze for
all the projects. A good alternative is to let the students paint the bisque
fired clay with tempera paint. Seal the paint and add gloss by applying a
thin layer of floor wax. Any cheap wax will do. You would be amazed at how
beautiful these turn out.

I've ordered about 700 pounds of low-fire clay (reddish-brown), and about