RE: keep high standards or keep job

---------

From: Martha Ulakovits (MSQU_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 21:23:31 PDT

Our new superintendent has decided to cut all programs that have a low
enrollment. The teachers were notified their subject areas would no longer
exist after this year. I'm wondering if some of those teachers have set such
high standards that students are going for the easy "A" teachers? I wonder
how many teachers have had to deal with this in the past or are dealing with
it now? It's sad to think some teachers are lowering their standards just to
keep their jobs. Why aren't the unions protecting them?
Martha

Judges told me a number of times how good this teacher
is. Yet...students are dropping band for next year. Evidently, his
standards are too high. He has introduced "lessons" which requires...
...The worst part is, kids go home and complain, and instead of getting on
their kids to step up to the challenge and see it will be good for them, a
few decide they're going to run him out of town. They did drive the former
band teacher out of here with their constant whining and angry parents. So
the current word has spread among the kids that if they refuse to take the
class, the school will be forced to let him go.

---