Re: Lessons learned

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 09:21:50 PDT

When you teach in a small school where every number counts you have to do whatever is best for your program. If your standards are so high that students fear taking your class then your enrollment will drop and if your numbers drop low enough then your program is dropped. On the other hand, if your class is "an easy A", then you end up with the discipline problems, packed classes, limited supplies. Too many discipline problems, too many students failing, again your administrator may drop you or your program. You need to find a comfortable balance. I dropped my personal standards when I started teaching in order to reach the students. It took me 4 years to get my program where I wanted it - students enrolling because they wanted to learn about art! Students do not take my class because it is an easy A. I don't have the discipline problems I once had. I don't expect everyone to be successful as an artist - but I do expect them to learn. My students know about the elements and principles of art, can talk intelligently about an artwork, and at the end of the school year you can see growth in their projects. BTW - my classes are full next year! :-)
~Michal
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
   Should I be questioning this, I am an art teacher, and I probably will be a horrible english or math teacher, yet this may be what I have to teach if my numbers don't go up. Do any other teachers out there, have the same quandary. What have been your solutions?