Re: Simple Formula for ordering clay?

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 26 2002 - 07:25:34 PDT

Hi Larry,

    My formula for the elementary level is around one pound of clay per
child per project. Usually this is enough to get through the year with each
grade level getting one cermaics experience a year. Wish I could do more,
but my budget, time and space restrictions allow no extras. Also, if you
can get the white firing clay (cone 05), it works best for kids to glaze or
paint. The colors come out lots better.

            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

> I have a small community K-12 program to order art supplies for. The way my
> schedule is set, I don't teach art to 7th and 10th grades. All total I have
> about 170 elementary students, and 70 high school kids. Of those high
> school kids, 20 of them will have ceramics for an entire quarter. We
> basically have spent the past three years using up old clay in barrels and
> what was boxed up on shelves.
>
> I've ordered about 700 pounds of low-fire clay (reddish-brown), and about
> 300 pounds of a wheel throwing clay. There might be time for me to order
> still more, but I'm wondering if some might help by offering a simple
> formula. I imagine this has been discussed before, and I apologize up front
> for missing it. Thanks...
>
> Larry

---