Re: Great Quote - Constructivism

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 26 2002 - 04:06:37 PDT

The Unfinished Revolution: learning, human behavior,
community and political paradox

Following is the introduction to John Abbott and Terry
Ryan's book published in England by Network
Educational Press (2000), and in the United States by
ASCD (2001).

... there should be a constructivist and
apprenticeship-based approach to learning which takes
full account of recent neuroscientific research.

Our five-year study of the science of learning and the
biological nature of the brain has revealed a massive
mismatch. The nature of learning is very different to
the political mantras driving educational reform in
most countries. This is a potentially dangerous
disconnection because the welfare of individuals and
communities - especially when set against rapid,
social, technological, and economic changes - are
increasingly dependent on their ability to
continuously learn and adapt. The shift in our
understanding of learning has already started, but is
all too frequently frustrated by people's attempts to
fit it into pre-existing systems.
Schools as we understand them now are a product of
political and economic compromises informed by
assumptions about learning with their roots in the
late 19th and early 20th centuries. The historical
chapters of this book show how the
institutionalization of learning has led to the
trivialization of community as a key component of
people's lives and, in particular, the bond between
generations. The relationships within the community
need to be so strong that you don't need top-down
solutions because there is such strength within
ordinary people that they can sort out their own
problems. Each person has a role and a responsibility.