Re: A Lesson LearnedRe: A lesson learnedRe: A lesson learnedRe: A lesson learnedRe: A lesson learnedRe: A lesson learned

---------

From: wjb (wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 18:39:19 PDT

> I have had students who did not like my approach, complain to
> parents and involve administrators. These incidences with students may
> or may not have affected my job. My point is that a teacher with
> standards can always be a target for students who are unwilling to meet
> those standards.---

    We have students who involve partnts that threaten to go to the school board at the drop
of a hat and administrators that buckle to that kind of thinking. They will not support
their teachers, keeling to the popular decisions of thestudents and parents that want Johnny
to get a really good grade despite the fact that Johnny did not earn such a grade or that he
may not have fulfilled the requirements of the class. We lost a great English teacher last
year because of 5 sets of parents that did not like their daughter's grades despite th fact
that they were out of class for this and that and field trips and student council etc. etc.
They and the administration made life so miserable for her that she resigned at the end of
the year leaving behind her retirement bennies and insurance. I've had the same problem, but
I guess I'm just too stubborn to buckle under such pressure. when threatened with constant
observations I've invited admin and parents into my classroom. Their kids eventually drop my
class, because my standards are "too high" for their lil darlins. Have also had my share of
vandalism to my car etc--but that's another story.

Gelato

---