Re: Texas elementary-to Kimberly and Donald

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 07:24:23 PDT

Thank you both so much for the insight as to how this works. Honestly,
Donald, I don't know how you teach that many classes in a day, and not be
completely exhausted by the end of the day.. I find 6 classes difficult-
mainly because they are all different gradelevels. Seven was impossible for
me . My room was totaled by the end of the day, and there was no energy left
to get it back into shape. My kids are good at helping, but I felt it took
too much time away from their art ( on the days with seven.) One of the
elementary schools in our district is the pilot for this
Brazoport model and they are asking the art teacher there to do 6 art classs a
day, half hour lunch duty and half hour math or reading remediation. My
feeling is that the art instruction will then suffer as a result of no time
to manage the various supplies for each grade level, and lack of time to
plan for the 7 grade levels or a remediation.
It becomes a matter of trying to maintain rather than excel in the art room-
( my experience anyway)
Anyway, Thanks again for your input. If anyone else has comments on this, I'd
love to hear 'em.
Betsy

Kimberly Herbert wrote:

> We test with the rest of Texas in Mid April this year - they are moving
> the test to late April early May it is suppose to be a final of sorts.
> Texas used to test in September, but they lost so much over the summer
> that that was impractical. Extended day was taught by the TAAS
> coordinator and regular classroom teachers (3-5th grade). If you had

---