High schools in LA area/ Advice needed

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 21:06:05 PDT

Please reply off list:
From: "avsabe" <creaturecope@netzero.net>
Subject: [ArtsEducators] Advice needed

Dear Art Teachers,

About a year ago on this forum you gave me some very good leads on
visual art high schools in the Los Angeles area. I tried to get my
daughter Lindsay who is finishing 10th grade right now, into the LA
HS of the Arts on the Cal State campus but they essentially told her
there was too much competition to apply for the fall class. We are
moving to LA area in August (hopefully) and Lindsay just got into the
Orange County HS of the Arts in Santa Ana and they also would take
her at the LA Unified Fairfax HS in the city. Well the OC School
seems great but I'm not sure my wife and I want to live in O.C. We
have friends and relatives in northern LA/Ventura County and there
may be some job prospects for my spouse and I up there. (We are both
veterinaraians, selling our practice of 21 years and moving from Md.)
The Fairfax HS has very little in the way of art electives and
Lindsay won't even consider it.

We have been looking at the Thousand Oaks HS--which seems to have
great academics and many art electives-- and the possibility of
Lindsay taking night art courses at Moorpark College. Lindsay's twin
sister loves Japanese and they teach it that HS. She insists that
unless she can be immersed in an arts HS like she is in now --
Suitland HS, a magnet in Suitland, MD.--she will never be able to
continue developing her portfolio and so she will never get into an
arts college in 2 years and never get scholarships etc., etc., etc.

As parents we want to nurture Lindsay but we have lives to live also
(sounds like a soap opera). Do you feel that a HS that specializes in
visual arts will be absolutely necessary for portfolio development
and an eventual career in art? She likes 3-D art, fashion design,
sculpture, photography. Lindsay has an online portfolio but the URL
escapes me now so I will have to post it later.

Any advice from you out there in the field would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Steve Feldman, DVM
Please reply off list:
From: "avsabe" <creaturecope@netzero.net>