Re: A Lesson Learned Re: A lesson learned Re: A lesson learned Re: A lesson learned Re: A lesson learned Re: A lesson learned

---------

From: Peggy Woolsey (eoolspeg_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 25 2002 - 08:56:45 PDT

> No matter how responsible the student,
> I would never let a student have a responsibility that could negatively affect my job."

" I know the reverse argument is...we have to give students the
opportunity to prove themselves....well...my feeling is..not at the risk
of my job."

     I have had students who did not like my approach, complain to
parents and involve administrators. These incidences with students may
or may not have affected my job. My point is that a teacher with
standards can always be a target for students who are unwilling to meet
those standards. Students must assent to being taught--if not, they can
and sometimes do negatively affect teaching positions. My colleage next
door just lost half his art position as most of his grade nines did not
opt for further art courses
        I also think that as art teachers we encourage a certain amount of risk
taking, often encouraging students to go places and take on things that
they havn't the opportunity to do in many other classes. This makes us
risk takers as well...one cannot always know or guess every consequene
of ramification that can occur. Creativity can be wild and heady. Stuff
happens. Good and bad. As you know.

---