Re: A lesson learned

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 06:36:44 PDT

last time i checked it wasn't just kids who want to rebel...adults do
too...we are just more underhanded and sneaky then they...that is the
nature of humans...even if someone does something good it is for a
selfish purpose...check your own life and you'll see...

>>> pknott@enter.net 05/23/02 08:22PM >>>
Ken,
I so sorry to hear of this incident.
You did your best job as teacher, your site sure (used to tell) what
an
inspiration you are.

It's natural for us to give trust and responsibility to kids, and it
seems
equally as natural for them to want to screw it up somehow. For the
past
couple of years I understand them less and less.
The problem is what I call "gray."
I grew up with back and white, "right and wrong," and a box I needed
to get
out of.
Everything is so gray for the kids today. Consequences are ambiguous,
we
bend the rules so much.
The kids are only looking to do what is natural for kids to do--
rebel.
Unfortunately their rebellion takes on much more sophisticated methods
than
we ever knew.

I find they really what a real issue to rebel against. And until they
have
that, they will be pranksters.

I have had this kind of disappointment myself. It really does hurt and
feel
like one big slap in the face.

But, I know Ken, you remeber most the kids you have affected and who
didn't
disappoint.

Patty

---