Re: Texas elementary teachers/remediation

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 05:57:59 PDT

I teach at a minority/poverty school. We do 45 minutes every morning of TAAS
tutoring. The first year they had me teaching a math concept. MATH! It was
the blind leading the blind. They quickly figured out that didn't work. Next
year I did a reading concept. Better, but still not great. I had no training
in teaching elementary concepts. Math OR Reading.

Now, for the last 3 years I've worked with the kids who don't need the
tutoring. Sort of like a GT program, but we don't identify kids GT on my
campus (to busy trying to get kids identified so they don't have to take the
TAAS). Teach whatever I want. Has been fun. This year the group was to
large, so I'll have to pitch a fit next year.

Taught everything from Medieval History to fire balloons. Did a lot of
advanced reading with them. Did a big unit on Edgar Allen Poe this year.

Hope this helps.