Re: We help; no...we are a detriment; no...we ARE collateral

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 05:19:30 PDT

Larry, thanks for reaffirming my belief. I always seem to feel guilty
because while the other teachers are meeting together with a student's
parents to "come up with a behavior plan", I am looking at them with puzzled
thoughts wondering why Little Johnny has always been an angel in my class.
And they look at me and wonder why I'm not pegging him to the wall as well
(it's never been "what's her secret"!). I have students tell the counselor
they would drop school if they couldn't take art. They don't seem to realize
why it's important to them, just that they need it. My classes are huge, and
yet I always seem to find room for another students (huge for me is anything
over 24 students). Students don't care what theory we art teachers are
currently immersed in. They just want to create, just as we do. No, art
needs no justification.
And Larry, buy the house - and install a pond! :-)
~Michal