Re: A lesson learned

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 04:00:57 PDT

In a message dated 05/23/2002 9:51:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bicyclken@aol.com writes:

> Last week I was E-mailed by a person who said "Do you know what is going on
> at your website. I was not aware of any problems and went to it and found
> that the kid that was my webmaster had put something up himself. It was a
> section on the A.P. art show that my kids did themselves at our open house
> show May 2nd. In the area were pictures and comments by him that were
> stupid, crass, put downs and even ethnic slurs. To make matters worse, he
> had a kink at the bottom that went to his own site with a section on the
> school and was making fun of other students.

Ken- what a story! You mean, you didn't "write him up" for suspension- or
whatever you high school teachers do?!? I think I would have stressed that
he lost any recommendations you would have given him to get into art school
(if in AP that's where he was headed).

Your story comes at a time when I have 450 portfolios to get out in the next
couple of weeks with a total of thousands of artwork that I mat and mount . I
was just feeling sorry for myself because the little ones can't help me by
using the cutting board, or hot glue gun. Maybe, if I had a student
webmaster, I, too, would have the time to put my students art on the web.
Wish you could see it- you wouldn't believe it came from elementary school
kids. Anyway, my point is, after reading this maybe I shouldn't be so
envious of all the capabilities of the high school age students to "help".
Boy, that's some "help"!
Susan on Long Island

---