Re: artsednet digest: May 22, 2002

---------

From: Dave Wuerffel (wuerfeld_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 18:17:51 PDT

Caryl,
Your problem is quite common with older kilns, but luckily many of us have
experienced it before. This is what to do: You will want to purchase from
your ceramic supplier nicrome (sp?) wire. This wire comes in a prepackaged
set that is already precut to the size of a long thin nail.
You need to warm up the kiln to 'soften' up the heating coils first. If you
don't they are very unbendable and could break. Next, using insulated
gloves, you press one end of the small piece of nicrome wire into the brick
near the element you wish to reattach and place the coil (element) back into
the proper spot. Now you bend the other end of the wire so that it holds the
coil in and push it into the brick.