RE: Texas elementary teachers/remediation

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 17:58:42 PDT

I've heard the term around school, but we don't do it exactly that way.
This year students needing acceleration academy (Remediation) were
pulled from PE once a week. The need for remediation was determined by
TAAS practice test (short in the fall building up to full length
endurance in the spring). If the whole class didn't get a concept, then
the teacher retaught the material. If it was a few students then they
went to acceleration academy.

In the spring we had extended day. During extended day the Art, Music,
PE teachers and PK - 2nd grade teachers covered afternoon duty for the
3rd - 5th grade teachers. That way we had approximately 30 min. to grab
something to eat, run to the washroom and set up for our extended day
students. We taught extended day from 3:00 - 4:30. I know the music
teacher helped teachers as needed and acted as a sub if an extended day
teacher was out. The Art teacher and Coach have early morning duty I
don't think they stayed for extended day.

I would also look at the many ways your art program helps your students
gain skills that go across the curriculum. Observation is going to be
important for the science TAKS. Measurement is always a difficult
concept to understand, but your kids use it all the time in art.
Fractions - concrete examples. Basic story structure. Communication
skills. Art history is in the SS TEKS and maybe on the American History
TAKS (new test in 8th grade). 5th grade is going to be held accountable
for the 8th grade SS TAKS, because there is no way they can cover all
the material in 8th grade unless the students get an overview in 5th.

Sincerely,
Kimberly Herbert