figure drawing

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 15:09:33 PDT

The kids love this lesson and seem to really do some great work. I push
the table against the wall and have a step stool and assist them up on
the table. Sometimes we use a prop box and let them pick out things-this
year we used sports equipment because of our school wide theme. I put
all the names in a basket and choose a name. We use the vocabulary
words-model, pose and portrait. I use some prints to show portraits,
sometimes a book about portraits-to intro the lesson. We talk about all
the shapes that are in bodies-rectangles etc.. and I do a sketch first
of a model -talking them through it-what shape is her head, what about
the neck, the body is just a rectangle,etc.... And we do sort of a
modified sausage person so they get away from stick people. I tell the
kids that they if they don't want to be the model that's ok, some people
would rather draw. Usually everybody is dying to get up there. Hope this
helps.
      Jeryl
p.s yes, my room is really large and well set up. I hesitate to brag on
it because I feel sorry for all those with such bad conditions. We built
a new school 3 years ago and I have a great room. Two big storage rooms
with wall to ceiling shelving, kiln with ventilation, two sinks,counter
all along one wall, built in big file drawers, outside patio. But I
taught for 10 years in a dark, dinky, little portable. This room is like
heaven1

---