Re: A lesson learned

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 07:19:58 PDT

Ken,

What an awful story. I think it is necessary, in our choice of vocation, to
be hopeful and optimistic about students in general. When a "favored son"
turns on you, it is hard to recover from.

One particular senior class got in such a snit after the new (therefore
detested) principal made the "irrational" demand that they wear proper
shoes for graduation, that for the ceremony, they all walked on stage
barefoot. While what they did is not as devasting as your loss, this "slap
in the face" erased all the fondness I had associated with this class, then
and now. What brats!

I guess the only words of comfort I can give are that we both know
adolescents are supremely self-involved. It is all about them, so thinking
though the implications of their actions is not a skill yet learned.

If you have ever had a puppy you will recognize the behavior. High
Schoolers, in dog years, are only two. They look grown up and just when
you think you can trust them, they jump up on the company when they come to
the door, pee on the carpet, and cannot be trusted in the kitchen when a
pie is left unattended on the counter. It is the nature of the beast. It
doesn't make them bad dogs, just puppies, not yet ready for prime time.

Let's hope the kid learned more from this lesson than you did.

Christa

---