Conceptual art

---------

From: Amanda Linn (toasterart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 06:57:29 PDT

I teach high school, Last year my Art II class
examined the fluxus movement and the art of Yoko Ono.
I taped one of the lessons to use in my National Board
process. My kids really got into it, they were still
talking about it at the end of the year. Some of them
graduated and still talk about it when they come back
to visit. One of my students staged his own piece of
performance art related to our discussion. He was
suspended for 3 days (not directly related to the art,
but for insubordination) the photographs documenting
his experience and his talking about the piece landed
him a major art scholarship. My principal and I
learned a lot about kids and art. Since this
experience, I have exposed my kids to as many
postmodern, conceptual, contemporary art works and
just general goings on in the world that I could find.
 We have had many rich discussions. For me these
experiences really transcend what happens in the 4
walls of the art room.

Amanda

=====