Re: the science of clay

---------

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 08:43:53 PDT

ok...ANY teacher can make something more interesting...ESPECIALLY art
teachers! wanna teach them about the science of clay? use
visuals...use video, use power point, make your own video (forget penn
and teller, you can do better then them!!!) use props, make fun of the
stuff, make jokes, have fun NO BORING lectures...nobody wants those
(especially not art teachers)...take a lasse-faire day and ask them what
clay is made of... there are so many alternatives to lecture
hop

>>> aiheineman@prodigy.net 05/22/02 07:36AM >>>
    What we could use are 1. See through kiln fire bricks so we can see
what
is going on in there. 2. A video by Penn and Teller on these topics.
They
can make anything look fun and important to know and do. Perhaps your
students can draft a letter to the comic pair and suggest a new series
on
ceramics.
    My students are fascinated with kiln "engineering." I have a
special
group of students who help me load/unload the kiln and they bid on who
gets
the bent cone as a souvenir. You'd think it was a precious stone.

         Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
            Art K-5 (6) for 35 years

> Jane,
> How do you make the technical and scientific information about clay (
what
> it is, what happens to it in the kiln, what glaze is made of and
what
> happens to it in the kiln) interesting to your students? How do
they
> remember the information? Do you test them on it? I give my
students this
> information in a short lecture and they must take notes. Seems to me
that
> they aren't impressed and don't really care. I think it's important,
but
> they don't always share my sentiments. Perhaps I don't make it
interesting
> enough. Just wondered how others do it.
> Thanks,
> Marian