Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: the science of clay

From: Aaron Hopkins (hopkiaar_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 08:43:53 PDT

ok...ANY teacher can make something more interesting...ESPECIALLY art
teachers! wanna teach them about the science of clay? use
visuals...use video, use power point, make your own video (forget penn
and teller, you can do better then them!!!) use props, make fun of the
stuff, make jokes, have fun NO BORING lectures...nobody wants those
(especially not art teachers)...take a lasse-faire day and ask them what
clay is made of... there are so many alternatives to lecture

>>> 05/22/02 07:36AM >>>
    What we could use are 1. See through kiln fire bricks so we can see
is going on in there. 2. A video by Penn and Teller on these topics.
can make anything look fun and important to know and do. Perhaps your
students can draft a letter to the comic pair and suggest a new series
    My students are fascinated with kiln "engineering." I have a
group of students who help me load/unload the kiln and they bid on who
the bent cone as a souvenir. You'd think it was a precious stone.

         Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
            Art K-5 (6) for 35 years