Re: HELP HELP DBAE publ

---------

From: Barbara Laws (blaws_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 07:52:40 PDT

Jan-
Here it is; I believe this is what you are looking for. It's from a national study on the status of art education that came out about the same time as the Getty publication. Hope it helps.
Barb

John Adams - Letter to Abigail Adams, May 12, 1780
"I must study politics that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture..."
-from Toward Civilization: Overview from A Report on Arts Education, National Endowment for the Arts, May, 1988

d and piloted the concept, there are quotations throughout its writings. I am looking for a quote by (I believe) John Adams that talks about working so that his children or future generations could become artists.

I lent my copy out years ago and have no idea where it is.

I am talking at an awards ceremony tonight at our school and would love to use it. If anyone can help me, you'll make my day, week- summer....

Many thanks!,

Jan in Holland