Re: We help; no...we are a detriment; no...we ARE collateral

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 22 2002 - 07:14:31 PDT

Re:
"Twenty-five to thirty years ago...art taught units, based upon subject.
Individuals capable/skilled in the areas were preferred...Good grief."

I wish I knew whether my skepticism with VCAE, or any new trend, is born of
wisdom that comes with age or, perish the thought,inflexibility. I do
remember stodgy old teachers in my early years who shot down everything
new. I had nothing but contempt for them.

Now I wonder if am one.

Yes, Larry, I have been there and done that,too, and my students are
producing their best works only now. "Best" based on traditional elements
and principles, white European gallery standards, but also the standards of
university portfolio reviewers and juried student art exhibits. Until
these expectations change, I think we do a disservice to our students to
ignore product/process.

So while art is everywhere, does not "belong" to a museum, and can be a
doughnut on the floor I feel we should teach all sides. We must embrace
alternatives but not throw the baby out with the bathwater (which might
make an interesting installation/commentary on the state of what art is
today...).

Christa

---