Re: making constructivism simple/ angry

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 14:58:30 PDT

Henry writes:

> Maybe if I had my own school...
> it wouldn't look much like a school.
>
> It would look more like a micro-miniature
> business and research park. A "hothouse" full
> of short people:

I don't know much about what the history, philosophy and practice of the
TECH school is, but from what I see her in PA it is much like what Henry
describes. I know the Tech school was developed as a place to foster the
kid that will not achieve in the academic world. To give real life skills
and experiences to what is generally considered the "blue color" world. The
kids that are most successful with "hands on." . We have an excellent Tech
school in my district, and all I know is that those kids are very happy at
the Tech school and very unhappy at the home school.
Perhaps some lessons are to be learned from what is being accomplished in
these environments-- making doing, being rewarded by a sellable skill.

> Grades, (k-12), would exist only in the computer.
> The kids would submit updated resumes,
> portfolios, letters of recommendation and
> job applications each quarter to one of
> the on-campus businesses.

OH I do love this!
advancing to a higher level would truly be based on achievement and not
because we have to get them through.
Oh how I hate the calculating and manipulating in order to get the highest
GPA
and some of those high GPA's don't know how to tie their shoes, they have
just become masters of manipulation and calculation

no wonder our world is driven by spin doctors

> Art is THE Master class. It penetrates everywhere.
> Most of our principles of design are the basis of
> philosophic discourse and ethics (original usage:
> how to live life, not the determination of moral
> right and wrong)

We as artists and art teachers know this. Yet we continue to plead and beg
for legitimacy. If you look at the initiatives that have come down the pike
in the past few years ... Well, at least I think, they have come from art
methods. Portfolios, alternative assessments, differentiated instruction,
critical thinking, interdisciplinary connections, multi- culturalism,
critiques and rubrics... We do it and "they" take from us and they don't
know how to do it.

I'm still sick and tired of the justification

Patty

---