Re: AVID

---------

From: Myriam Ramos (cemy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 18:39:41 PDT

> Myriam asked if anyone has worked with AVID at the high
school level. If, by
> this you meant the program Advancement by Individual
Determination, I have.
> It is a program geared to high potential/underachieving
kids in an effort to
> prepare them for college. Usually the students chosen
will be the first, or
> one of few in their families to have college as a goal.
Skills of
> organization, studying, Cornell notetaking, etc. are
taught. We started with
> one class of 9th graders who were grouped for social
studies and English, I
> think. They also had an actual AVID class as an elective
in which the above
> skills were actually taught. Behavior and attitude are
also part of the
> program, as is parent involvement. Both parents and
students are expected to
> sign a contract at the beginning of the year. At my
school, all of us were
> given an overview and taught how to do Cornell
notetaking. The only real
> impact to me as an art teacher was to help these kids
take notes and be
> organized, and to report any problems to their AVID
teacher. Unfortunately,
> the money ran out or the powers that be decided against
it, because the
> first class did not continue and we no longer have the
program. Linda in NC

That's too bad, Linda. It really sound good. We are going
to start next year with this year's freshmen. The
counselor took inventory of all the freshmen and deleted
those who are inelligible. Now she has asked the faculty
to review the list and make recommendations for and
against inclusion in the group. They are going to have one
period a day when the 20 or so finalists take the note-
taking, study habits class. If it takes the place of one
elective, I guess I won't see many of them.

Thanks a lot for sharing with me,
Myriam

  Message sent using Caribe.Net WebMail (BETA)
  Caribe.Net - http://www.caribe.net

---