Re: making constructivism simple/ angry

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 09:26:58 PDT

Hi Patricia,

I can understand your frustration. I teach in higher ed and
there is a lack of money here as well. It is exhausting
contemplating all of these different approaches. I feel an
awesome responsibility to teach the next generation of art
teachers how to be effective art teachers, however, I am
still trying to figure that one out myself. All anyone can
do is their best. Hang in there.

Now about another matter.

I believe we in art education have defined our profession
too narrowly. I believe we need to reinvent the profession
and expand it beyond the boundaries of K-12 and university
art education. I believe we need to include all areas in
which art is taught. This would include teaching art to
such K-death populations in: mental health centers, mental
hospitals, museums, nursing homes, retirement communities,
community art centers, prisons, juvenile detention centers,
schools, businesses, day care centers, the list is virtually
endless. Until art education expands to include all facets
of where art can and is being taught we will not make any
inroads into showing and sharing others how art is an
essential part of our daily lives.

Making this type of change would require a total
reconceptualization of art education. We would need to put
together a think tank of experts from all these various
fields and develop a new discipline. This new discipline
would require a structure, a philosophy and an overall
foundation or body of knowledge upon which to draw upon. We
would need to prepare people to teach in this new discipline
because no one right now has done this. What we have right
now are artists, psychologists, social workers, art
educators, etc. doing the best they can within their own
limited framework. We need to basically reinvent our
profession if we are to ever have any impact on the daily
lives of people.

I believe the art education we have known is dead. Let us
stop beating a dead horse and move in a different direction.

Respectfully,

Diane C. Gregory
dianegregory@earthlink.net

---