re: damaged resource forks

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 09:11:13 PDT

Hi Carmella,

Do not worry about damaged resource forks in the case of
your Aliases. All this means is that you have to redo your
aliases that you created to your software, etc. Throw out
the old Aliases in the trash can and then delete everything
in your trash can. You can sometimes do some repairs to your
Mac by doing the following: Shut down your Mac. You are
going to do a procedure called zapping the P-RAM. On hitting
the restart button, hold down option, apple key (command
key) and P, and R keys. Just hit the restart key, let go of
restart key and then hit all four of these keys
simultaneously. You have to really stretch your fingers to
do it. Let the Mac chime five or six times before you
release the keys. This might help. You might also want to
rebuild your desktop. For instructions go to the Apple help
menu on your computer. Also using Norton Utilities I would
defragment your hard drive.

Hope this helps. Ask more questions if you need to.

I run a Mac computer lab in our art education program at
Southwest Texas State University and have some experience
fixing machines that don't work.

Feel free to e-mail me off list at dg09 @swt.edu

Diane Gregory, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Art Education

My Norton utilities has
>told me I have damaged resource forks...Does anyone on this
list know what this
>means? It reads: "A major error was found in the file
listed below, the alias
>files are damaged (15, 1, 3) Norton disk doctor is unable
to fix this problem.
>Hard drive System folder: Preferences: Norton Application
Aliases: Volume
>Recover..."

---