AVID

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 08:48:09 PDT

Myriam asked if anyone has worked with AVID at the high school level. If, by
this you meant the program Advancement by Individual Determination, I have.
It is a program geared to high potential/underachieving kids in an effort to
prepare them for college. Usually the students chosen will be the first, or
one of few in their families to have college as a goal. Skills of
organization, studying, Cornell notetaking, etc. are taught. We started with
one class of 9th graders who were grouped for social studies and English, I
think. They also had an actual AVID class as an elective in which the above
skills were actually taught. Behavior and attitude are also part of the
program, as is parent involvement. Both parents and students are expected to
sign a contract at the beginning of the year. At my school, all of us were
given an overview and taught how to do Cornell notetaking. The only real
impact to me as an art teacher was to help these kids take notes and be
organized, and to report any problems to their AVID teacher. Unfortunately,
the money ran out or the powers that be decided against it, because the
first class did not continue and we no longer have the program. Linda in NC

---