RE: making constructivism simple/ angry

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 20:49:13 PDT

Teresa writes:

> I will go back to the sculpture garden project I did
> with fifth and xith graders in Beijing. It's a good
> example of constructivism. It started as a clay unit
> with sixth graders and a meeting with two artists over
> steaming cups of green tea at the Sculpture Institute
> of the University of Fine Art. I came there to meet
> the artist and ended up planning a field trip with my
> 6h grade students to visit Qin Pu's studio, an
> internationally known sculpture artist in China.

What an incredible resource and how lucky for you.

money

theory, practice , and implementation are all well and good if the money
is there to support it.

If you go back on this list a few weeks ago and look at the posts about
budgets, you will find teachers in some places dealing with 600-800 kids
with budgets of $1.00 or less per student!!

Look at how many teachers on this list resort to begging and dumpster diving
in order to get materials. How many look to donations and collect
throwaways and put their own money into the program.
I am angry because so many art teachers across the country are limited by
resources. We are told we are 'something' and then given nothing for
support.

Do not give me another theory or initiative without the money to support it.
I am tired of begging.

I must say I am very confused by the back and forth on this list about how
to carry out the notion of art education. Just what is the notion? Surely
we don't think we can make everybody an artist. If that's the case then art
is nothing. We don't think we can make everybody a doctor, or a scientist,
or a football player.? Why do we strive to make all artists. Ultimately,
I hope that I can make some translation of the artist's thinking, hope for
some kind of appreciation, but know only a select few will be artists.
if you want me to produce crafts people that's a different thing.
and if you want me to teach the artist's way of thinking and seeing that's
different.

I am delighted to think that we are in an evolutionary cycle in defining art
and art education. and once again I see art as leading the way in defining
and setting examples.
DBAE, VCAE, didaction, constuctivism....

art making doesn't need any label
except
if there was a teaching label to reach soul then maybe we wouldn't have to
have jargon

I'm very tired
I'm very weary
Patty