RE: making constructivism simple/didaction

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 18:26:09 PDT

--- Patricia Knott <pknott@enter.net> wrote:

> became fashionable. The problem I find with rubrics
> is that the intent has been somewhat ignored for
> expediency. Rubrics are to be designed with both
> teacher and student participation. I see too many
> generic rubrics, web generated rubrics and
> teachers passing rubrics around with no student
> participation in the generation. It's a time
> consuming process to
> include student input, but one
> that is necessary to insure expectations.

You know, I don't think student input has ever been a
factor in my classes where rubrics have been
discussed. This would be such a good way for students
to learn about setting goals. Have you created them
individually? collectively? Hmmmm.

> Your sculpture project sounds like what we are
> calling differentiated instruction. Teaching within
> the classroom and meeting each child's needs.
> None fall behind and none linger waiting for the
> rest to catch up. It's an awesome teaching
> responsibility, if taken seriously.

Now, this is something I have lots of experience with.
 Maybe I should include it on my resume...

> I know how to write an ambiguous objective. I see
> objectives all over the web in lesson plans that are
> activities , not a learning outcome.

I used to always turn in lesson plans with ambiguous
objectives, but had to learn how to follow suit. Good
experience in case I end up somewhere where this is a
required component. I have a clear idea of what I'm
presenting initially, but if it deviates from my
intentions, it should be a no less valid approach to
facilitating instruction. I think the expectation is
that teacher's should reflect and revise lesson plans;
why not be open to begin with? And who's to say the
following presentation won't take another direction
the next time.

At the same time, I don't want my art program to
appear squirrly because I failed to make clearly
defined lesson plans...

> Thanks Teresa, for giving a real life example
> and I hope we all have ours to tell.

ditto.
Dawn