RE: making constructivism simple/didaction

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 17:55:52 PDT

--- Esa Tipton <tmtartseducation@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I recently looked at new assessment work that
> equates 'teaching to the test" as "project-based
>learning with rubrics" and "portfolios" as authentic
>learning assessment tools. What an interesting shift
>in the field to redefine these as 'quantitative and
> qualitative tests." Better yet is the
> "process-folio" which describes the students own
>learning as part of portfolio work.

I recognize that rubrics can sets students up for
possibly achieving less than they might have otherwise
have set out to do. I think I was actually wondering
about a specific value, in terms of grading, that
might be designated to process. I read about
Gardner's process-folio's, but I think at the time I
read it, I was thinking that the overall
product/accumulation of things was ultimately assigned
a grade - I may have related it to college
experiences, where professors would bump your grade up
at the end of the semester if they knew you tried...I
will go back and check it out. I've never assigned
grades. Just thinking about approaches.

Your project sounds quite incredible. I'm all for
going with the flow and letting projects evolve into
what they will ...I'm just not sure how much of this I
will get to do in a public school setting. I've seen a
few cool things though - so I'll assume that "where
there's a will, there's a way"

> None of this project was planned in advance. It went
> step by step, one thing led to the other. That is
> constructivism. I didn't need to know the theory to
> know that this works and that nothing planned in
> advance could have equalled what we all got out of
> the
> process.

This is what I was thinking when I said that
"constructivist" lesson plans might be counter
productive.

Right after I posted the lesson plan sites, I signed
off and read Brent Wilson's "Reflections on
Constructivism and Instructional Design" lo and
behold, no.1 - Constructivism is more a philosophy,
not a strategy... (apparently this up for debate,
since I did find such sites)

I do have a drive to pin down my philosophy as an
educator - probably in large part, due to my
transition from small,private, all subjects to
large,public, art. I don't want it to happen by
default.

Thanks for your input.
Dawn