clay processing,"home-dug?"

---------

From: Maw-Deis, Caroline (cmaw-deis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 11:24:07 PDT

I have been asked to work with a group of "Girls Celebrate Science Campers"
to:
dig their own clay, create pieces from it and then fire them.
I was thinking of using a BBQ kettle as a low-firing pit kiln.
Has anyone had any experience doing their own digging and processing?
Is there anything that I should add to the clay body to make it more
ueable...I realize it depends upon the area it is dug from and other
factors, but are their any hints or suggestions you can offer??
I appreciate any advise.
thanx,
caroline

---