RE: making constructivism simple

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 19:18:50 PDT

--- Patricia Knott <pknott@enter.net> wrote:

> Teacher training at the university level is the key.

I think professors in education programs are expected
to train teachers to create lessons that address
specific models such as Blooms Taxonomy or the
Madeline Hunter Lesson Plan that address state
guidelines of what is required as essential content,
whether they are inherently contradictory, or not -
some classes more than others.

It seems that this formulaic preparation is necesary
for some teachers when they begin teaching in school
programs, but this ultimately depends on how the
principal views lesson planning.

> > What seems too be missing is motivation to
> participate and a driving need in
> > the student to learn something. Constructivism
> makes the process flow and at
> > times is, in itself, sufficient to kickstart a few
> kids.
>
> It seems to me that everything gets put upon the
> teacher and the lack of
> student responsibility overwhelms us.
> And yes henry,
> we are NOT addressing what is real in THEIR world.

I went to a lecture by Dr. Papert a couple of years
ago. He believes that technology can provide the
opportunity for students to take more initiative in
their own learning. He suggests that the entire
school setting needs to be revolutionized. He
mentioned that technology could also make it possible
to pick up where Dewey's Lab School left off - instead
of teachers having to create senarios for learning
along with daily living, technology can create virtual
senarios with which students interact.

I'm personally not crazy about computer
simulation/virtual anything - I need the physical
experience, but I agree that there is a lot of
potential. From what I understand, a lot of military
training is now done this way, for whatever that is
worth...

> I'm looking for a program that encourages creative
> thinking without a test
> for a standard. I don't even like rubrics anymore. I
> want to provide a place
> that allows for freedom of exploration, a place
> where I am smart enough to
> present problems that are worthy enough (and devoid
> of my personal content)
> to be solved. A place where kids can be that is
> absolutely free from a
> rating of less than proficient. A place where no
> enterprise fails. And no
> two things look alike

So what do you think of Tochon's and Gardner's views
of formative assesment? Have you found a way to
evaluate the process that is as significant as the
product?

Dawn