RE: constructivism/didaction

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 17:56:30 PDT

I’m actively trying to sort out this “didactics”
stuff, but being from the English-speaking world I
just dunno.

Is didactic now synonymous with constructivism on this
list?

I find it intriguing that Tochon talks about the study
of meaning–making processes that are specific for one
subject matter or discipline, and that each type of
knowledge should have its specific pedagogy. This
seems a bit contrary to the idea of trying to promote
authentic action and creation – the real world isn’t
broken down into such categories.

This article speaks of reaching a bottom-up consensus,
but doesn’t address the elements that students should
develop to be able to take on these types of projects.
 I think this is probably addressed in one of Tochon’s
zillion other writings…

The poetry projects discussed were interesting. I
like the concept of “Action to change society in an
educational way” and been looking at similar projects
that I have run across in the art world. “Culture in
Action” a public art program in Chicago is one that I
would like to read more about (if I ever catch up with
my Artednet “assignments”!) There was also an
installation at Houston’s Project Row Houses that
consisted of some sort of glass sculpture that was
made from glass bottles that had been collected from
local parks. The pails that had been used (I think by
children, but I’m not confident that the activity was
exclusively carried out by kids) had been painted and
hung from the ceiling. I’ve also been considering how
these projects fit into the VCAE scheme of things, if
anyone dares to go back down that path…

While I might not necessarily consider myself a social
activist, I would like to include this approach to
teaching art. Most of what I’ve seen hasn’t come from
schools. I’m wondering if it’s happening and just not
getting much publicity, and what undertaking such
projects would involve. Would something like this be
appropriate for an art club?

I think affective goals –a la bloom, and the fact that
formalist elements are considered essential knowledge
in art education, are both problematic for educators
trying to address postmodernism.

Has a model for a constructivist lesson plan been
created? Would it be counterproductive?

I just realized how odd that sounds, given my previous
stance…Montessori is thoroughly planned out, and my
lessons have been provided for the basic curriculum.
Our philosophy and training teach us how to guide
learning. One of the exciting things about teaching
art is that it seems to be pretty wide open. One of
the scary things about teaching art is that it seems
to be wide open.

Off to check out more posts-
Dawn