RE: Making constructivism simple? (hormones)

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 19 2002 - 07:12:50 PDT

When I encounter this topic I talk about it from an
internal level and call it "energy". I was serious
about the Abstract Expressionism, I had a class that
was so high "energy" that I changed my direction
(don't we all do that sometimes?) and did a lesson on
AbEx. During the literature/definition portion at the
beginning I kept telling the students they were going
to go outside and make a piece yourself, this would
quiet them down because it got them thinking. When we
did get outside the kids had a ball using found
objects as painting tools and slinging/scratching
tempra paint on their paper. One student work was so
good I hung it in the front office. From then on I
could say things like "put that energy here" direct
them into the work in process and they understood. And
liked what they saw. It was also a lesson kids talk
about after it is over. I still have kids talk about
it. However,I do not discuss the personal lives of
noted AbEx artists!
Cindi

leave-artsednet-7600Y@lists.getty.edu