Re:Architecture Recipies of the Melting Kind

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 03:43:33 PDT

In a message dated 05/13/2002 1:22:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
markcalexander@yahoo.com writes:

> Does anyone have any ideas combining architecture and baking?

Hi, Mark,
No baking, but food/goodies related: I treated my 5th graders one year to
this after they had worked so hard on another art assignment based on Frank
Lloyd Wright. Although certainly not exactly acedemic in nature, it did
"loosely" address the structural aspects of creating a building. I used it
as a reward and stressed cooperative learning as the kids had to solve the
problem as they worked together quickly in teams to create:
Ice Cream Structures
Materials: Gallons of ice cream, variety of cookies, Twizzlers; red
licorice sticks, and other candy with length such as Air Heads and Twix,
yardstick.

Time: One 40 min. class includes time to "enjoy" the creation.

Objective: Each table of students tries to create the TALLEST structure from
the alloted edible supplies. Give each group the same amounts. They have to
work together to figure out how to construct so that the structure stays
intact by the end of the alloted time they have to build it- about 15 min.
(Set a timer.)

I ask everyone to wash their hands first then dole out the goodies. We
measured each structure for height at the end of the alloted time to see
which "building" is tallest . After the contest everyone is a winner, as
they get to divide the structure among the group and devour it.

Warning: After teaching them all that serious stuff all year- art with real
substance, years later your students might tell you that this was their
favorite and the one they remember. Mine did!

Susan on Long Island

---