Re: Baking Architecture Recipies

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 23:42:16 PDT

--- Mark Alexander <markcalexander@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas combining architecture
> and baking?

It took a few days to unearth this book, but here's
something from Frank Lloyd Wright for Kids that I've
wanted to try:

Building a cantilever and a model of Fallingwater with
Graham Crackers.

The book refers to looking at the branches of trees
and how only one end is supported.

Then a demonstration is done using blocks or
bricks-you stack a couple and then position the fourth
one at a 90 degree angle. You demonstrate that this
block has to be held with you hand until you stack on
a couple more (parallel to the original stack.) "When
the block is held in place without the help of your
hand then you have made a cantilever," according to
the book...

The students can then make their own models using
graham crackers.

When they come up with a design, they can make it more
"permanent" by sticking the pieces together with Royal
Icing.

This requires 3-1/2 cups confectioners sugar, 2 egg
whites, 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter, 2 tablespoons
lemon juice (optional). These are blended, then beat
at high speed for 7-10 minutes and is ready to use
when you can "draw a spoon or knife through it and the
icing holds its shape."

It is supposed to be very hard when it is dry.

I guess this doesn't actually involve baking, but it
may be good for future reference.

I was also thinking it might be fun to try some sort
of smore concoction...

Good luck-

Dawn