RE: Didaction

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 23:12:23 PDT

I'm glad you haven't entirely opted on the delete
route...

The strength of the concept seems to be the name of
the game these days. It definitely was at the three
Texas universities I spent time at. It's pretty
predominant in the "art world" and contemporary
literature.

I'll admit that I remember not understanding why
technique was never addressed in my beginning art
classes, but my understanding is that a lot of this
methodology sprung up as a result of free expression
in the arts.

Eventaully my ideas did propel me to create, more so
than the initial "buzz" I got out of painting.

While I'm reflecting - I'll also admit that Barbara
Krueger's work initially reminded me of those high
school type posters you mentioned. But as the images
continued to burn in my mind, I realized how effective
they were for the message.

I am inclined to believe that concepts/issues form an
important framework for creative activities for
members of today's society. Actually, this applies to
any society...

Right now I'm in the elementary realm, but when/if I
teach high school students, I hope that I will be able
to help them recognize their own strengths and help
them find ways to develop them. Certainly some
students will pursue commercial/ad art, and technical
mastery will play a more important part than it may in
the fields of painting and sculpture, etc. Even in
these areas though, each individual will have to
determine what is most important to theirself as an
artist.

So how big is the voice of the inner critic of a high
school student anyway? It seems to rear it's ugly
head at about 8.

Were the students who did this holocaust project
satisfied with the quality of their work?

Dawn