Re: "Ism" heads?

---------

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 20:11:24 PDT

Jane, I agree that sometimes I feel that we're talking about the process of
talking about talking about art when we really need to just make stuff.
However, I feel it's wise to at least listen to these theories and
philosophies because they make me think and rethink what I teach and why
it's important. While I honestly believe the last Visual Culture thread got
a little too philosophical, I'm completely fascinated by these new ideas.
It's a teaching philosophy thing. It sounds like you you believe your job
is mainly in manipulation of materials and new techniques and that's your
personal opinion. That's okay- your personal philosophy. If you really want
to focus on the critical thinking behind the making, I think it doesn't hurt
learning from these "isms." Michelle