RE: Didaction

---------

From: Jane Manner (jmanner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 18:56:20 PDT

Thanks...

I had a student teacher who spent 1 month teaching a unit on the Holocaust.
The kids finally did 18" x 24" collages. Except for a few kids who
consistently produce, the things looked like home ec posters. These were
art III students. They already knew how to use a number of media and had
done many projects on social issues over their courses in art. When
technique and media became unimportant as the "method to meaning" stuff took
over, the quality of their work took a nose dive. My student teacher
complained one day as I was teaching that her teachers had never really
bothered to show her how to use the materials, just encouraged her in making
decisions about what was and wasn't quality work. She said she could have
made better work much sooner if she'd known how to use the materials. Her
ideas and creativity were already waiting to bloom, she just needed tools,
materials, and expertise. When I asked her how her knowing what she needed
then should impact what she taught now, she became very defensive about the
theories she had learned in art ed classes. I've taught a long time and
I've changed my methods as the years went by. I teach with an adapted
version of DBAE. I think the students need the four areas, but I always
keep in mind that they chose to be here to learn to produce their own art
work and to develop a sense of what is and isn't good work.

---