Re: Didaction

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 10:14:24 PDT

"PALSROK-LILLY, CARIN" wrote:

> Postmodernism, deconstructivism etc...They are big words, but these words reflect a mindset of our > culture(s). Our kids are postmodern. They're living it. If we can't relate to them and where they're > coming from I think we're gonna have a hard time teaching them.
>
> So I'm not as eloquent as some who write here, but this is what I truly believe...

In my not-so-humble opinion, eloquence is the ability to communicate
your ideas clearly, which you did in this message. Simply using the
most current jargon or obtuse words does not make one "eloquent" if your
audience do not understand what you're trying to get across.

And I think you're right: theory does affect the way we teach. "Color
theory" is not just one idea, as we often see on this list; each of us
has a different approach to teaching it. There is a trickle-down effect
from the ivory tower to our classrooms, though the labels may change.

Maggie

---