RE: Didaction

---------

From: henry taylor (tortolitascom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 12:59:19 PDT

Go to http://ijea.asu.edu/v1n2/ for a link to Tochon and
"Action Poetry as an Empowering Art: A Manifesto for
Didaction in Arts Education"

Always is someone willing to fling the first stone, mud,
pie, whatever. Must seem like a relief at first getting
something off your chest like that. Then fun... until
the fun stops. So it goes.

> I found that it was Eisner who in 1998 asked why do
> we as arts educators come up with arguments to use
> the arts to support other subjects but don't use
> the reverse logic. Excellent question.

Or, how come other subjects and disciplines want to
use Art to further their agendas. Maybe the reason
the field hasn't addressed the question is that
a number are visitors from elsewhere and more
interested in art from outside. Begs the question
"What is art (for)?"

We all have our theories about art don't we?
There would be no point in complaining about
theorists other than if their theories were
superfluous to our own theories. (Or do I
mean "facts"?)

There has always been some distain for the
academic and clever among English speakers.
Work hard, don't think too much.

Postmodernists seem to be fighting the
linguistic decline by introducing new
words and usages as quickly as the old
ones are lost. {grin}

But it's also hard to let go. Teaching has
been so freighted with a tradition of
transfering knowledge and skill. Hard to
shift our stance to allowing students to
construct their knowledge for themselves.

---