"Ism" heads?

---------

From: Kay Broadwater (kbroadwater_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 12:04:53 PDT

Dear Jane,
I used to think the same way that you do. But, I have discovered that by
looking into some of the "isms" I have become a stronger teacher, a more
deliberate teacher, and my students have noticed my growth as well. Yes, I do
think that we need to remember the wonderful importance of
self-expression...especially since we learned about it through a textbook by the

scholar Viktor Lowenfeld.
Best,
Kay Broadwater

Jane Manner wrote:

> I am so glad that you people lost in the world of art theory are labeling
> your subjects so well. That way my delete button can just click away.
> Students take art to learn the techinques and manipulate the materials so
> they can eventually express their specific meanings. All these "isms" are
> art educators co-opting terms and theories from the philosophies of other
> areas.
> This leads to new texts that kids seeking art ed degrees will have to
> purchase and to articles that can be published so the "ism"-heads can keep
> their jobs. Learning art still is the same: manipulation of materials to get
> to self expression along with being exposed to the work of those who have
> used materials well.
>
> Didaction-a coined word-used to add more gobble-de-gook to the world.

---