RE: Didaction

---------

From: Jane Manner (jmanner_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 16 2002 - 09:28:05 PDT

I am so glad that you people lost in the world of art theory are labeling
your subjects so well. That way my delete button can just click away.
Students take art to learn the techinques and manipulate the materials so
they can eventually express their specific meanings. All these "isms" are
art educators co-opting terms and theories from the philosophies of other
areas.
This leads to new texts that kids seeking art ed degrees will have to
purchase and to articles that can be published so the "ism"-heads can keep
their jobs. Learning art still is the same: manipulation of materials to get
to self expression along with being exposed to the work of those who have
used materials well.

Didaction-a coined word-used to add more gobble-de-gook to the world.

 di·dac·tic
Pronunciation: dI-'dak-tik, d&-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek didaktikos, from didaskein to teach
Date: 1658
1 a : designed or intended to teach b : intended to convey instruction and
information as well as pleasure and entertainment
2 : making moral observations
- di·dac·ti·cal /-ti-k&l/ adjective
- di·dac·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb
- di·dac·ti·cism /-t&-"si-z&m/ noun