Re: Didaction

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 21:35:39 PDT

--- Esa Tipton <tmtartseducation@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since the list has been pretty quiet about visual
> culture, I am wondering what you think about the
> role
> of constructivism in the arts education classroom
> and
> didaction as a kind of post-constructivist tool for
> learning?
>
> Teresa

Hi Esa -

I couldn't resist jumping in on this - but I 'm hoping
VCAE won't altogether die down. I had to take a big
deal test Monday and I have another one next Tuesday.
After that, I hope to get to kick the ideas around
some more.

Fot the issue at hand - I'm coming from a Montessori
perspective. I think that didactic lessons/materials
go hand in hand with constructivism.

Students will come to their own conclusions, largely
based on their experiences. As educators/facilitators
we should have a purpose in introducing information,
materials and concepts. If our purpose is unclear,
and what we are aiming for undefined, then students
will probably miss the point. While it is important
for students to be able to address info based on their
own perspectives, we have to ensure they have the
opportunity to recognize the underlying principles.

In thinking about art discussions specifically -
Experience can be richer due to input from peers, but
dialogue must go beyond social chit-chat, if students
are to grasp deeper meanings that are imbedded in the
artwork itself.

I am looking forward to "hearing" lots of perspectives
on this chit-chat...

Dawn