Re: Teaching Left-Handed Calligraphy

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 19:08:43 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
From: BibelotsOutpost@aol.com
                Bunki wrote:
Hi, Beth. I'm a left-handed calligrapher and I've taught lefties too. The
absolute BEST thing to do is leave them alone. Lefties are famous for
learning it backwards, etc. and it's a "built-in" thing that all lefties
have acquired since they had a rattle put into their right hand...

......Maybe best to say that
SOME profoundly talented and intuitive left-handers (Ms. Bunki!)
will find their own way, and others will need a little more help!
Deborah ---

Oh, geez...I didn't mean to sound "profound". I dunno...hummm....I always
just assumed that most left-handed people were like me...learning to do
things in the opposite direction than a "rightie" would. Having done it so
much it just seems natural to me. Like bowling. When the instructor said
walk THIS way, I walked THAT way using the opposite foot to start. To me it
is so automatic to do it the "opposite" way. Am I the only leftie that does
things this way? Am I marching to a different drummer?

When I watch/teach left-handed students to do calligraphy, they just seem to
find a way to get it comfortably done in their own unique way without much
help from me other than the basics. But then...so do the righties. i teach
middle school and the kids don't even bring it up as an issue that it would
be a problem. IMHO...having done this several times and judging by my
experience with this in MY classroom, why MAKE it an issue if the kids
don't? That's why I say that for me the best thing is to leave them alone
unless they seem to be having a great deal of trouble. I haven't had anyone
have "a great deal of trouble" yet so it's been a non-issue for us and for
me. A toodlin' leftie.....Bunki

---