Idea for Irene

---------

From: Carol Coffman (carol_coffman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 14:02:51 PDT

I'm in a similar situation with SOL testing....I'm teaming up with another teacher to paint ceiling tiles as an American flag, with all of the research and measuring being before the big day (for me it will be two days). Then groups of 5 will paint American symbols and related themes on a group tile....Lots of SOLs and lots of opportunity for design and painting technique....should be an awesome project that will be continued in the classroom.

Next week, most of the 8th graders in my building will be in Washington, DC. About 40 kids will be staying behind. Usually, the most unruly and least motivated kids are the ones who do not go on the trip.

I have been asked by my co-workers to come up with a one day art project that would be "fun" for these students and keep them busy for approximately the first four periods of one day. The activity would have to be one that the teachers would understand how to do and would require a minimum of mess and supplies. The students will be working in a regular classroom.

Any suggestions? You teachers always come through with great ideas, so I am sure you will be able to help out on this one.

Thank you!

Irene

Carol