Re: How long did it take?

---------

From: sbacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 12:58:28 PDT

artappeal wrote:

> [...]

I had my position confirmed right after graduation in May, after a trip to the
school district and tour of the schools where I would teach.

After my first year of teaching, I married, moved to Florida, then to
Pennsylvania and back to Ohio before teaching art full-time again. In those 26
years I wore many artistic hats and some not so artsy, but all helped to make me
a better person and educator.

I moved to Ohio, submitted my teaching application not quite three weeks before
school was to start, like a Thursday. I hoped that maybe I would get put on
their sub list. A week later I had an elementary teaching position. Before the
interview, I just tried to imagine what they would want to know and I made sure
I had a concrete answer. I had a well-documented resume with good
recommendations from lots of different people and fields I had worked. During
the interview process even though I was a nervous cat, I was honest and was very
positive about why they should hire me unstead of someone fresh out of school --
sorry, but you have the competitive edge because you are young! Obviously, it
worked.

So, I say, go in really prepared. If you have to work at something else, do it
really well and always have something art related going on in your life as well
(like local art councils, some type of art class, workshop or college course).
Don't be embarrassed about sharing even trivial accomplishments that you have
achieved, they may not be so insignificant to someone else, especially someone
that doesn't have an artistic bone in their body. Keep your eyes and ears open
and don't be afraid to check in frequently with your school district to see what
openings may come up.

Good luck,

Sandy

---