Re: choosing work for show

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 07:09:52 PDT

In a message dated 05/14/2002 6:05:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Melissasmi@aol.com writes:

> Why is it that the student who does basic, mediocre, average work is the one
> who asks why, why, why his work was not chosen to put in a show? When I
> explain I am to choose the very best high school level work (and I am
> thinking my 5th graders did better work than his), he continues to ask why
> his work was not chosen. I continue with the whole issue/difficulty of
> jury/subjectivity....and he still doesn't get it.

I have another situation. At our open house show I will have that same
student's mother or father come up to me and say "Where is Suzy's picture?"
I kind of wilt knowing that Suzy is very low in ability and I have put up
everything that I have matted in the year. I just explain that every project
that is matted was an A or A-, and we don't have room to show more. Suzy
will be taking home her portfolio soon and you will see them all If she gets
an A then it will be in the show.

I know this is hard and I feel bad for the kids who want to see their work up
and on display. I will have works in progress up on the chalk board as
praise for the work in progress. This is sometimes a good place to start as
this would be up a day and they can see the relationship of their work with
others that are working it out a little better.

It's a tough call, but unfortunately life is cruel at times and we need to be
sensitive to how it will affect these young kids. I just seem to work it out
as it comes.

Ken Schwab

---