Re: Teaching Left-Handed Calligraphy

---------

BibelotsOutpost_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 20:57:23 PDT

In a message dated 5/14/2002 10:24:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
bkramer@srvusd.k12.ca.us writes:

> Hi, Beth. I'm a left-handed calligrapher and I've taught lefties too. The
> absolute BEST thing to do is leave them alone. Lefties are famous for
> learning it backwards, etc. and it's a "built-in" thing that all lefties
> have acquired since they had a rattle put into their right hand...

I'm left-handed (notice I left off the calligrapher part...) and I'd have to
say
that I found using left-handed nibs and tilting the paper helped immensely.
I'm awfully glad my kindergarten teacher made a point of turning my paper
the opposite way when it came time to write, and I'm glad my college
calligraphy prof. found me left-handed nibs. Maybe best to say that
SOME profoundly talented and intuitive left-handers (Ms. Bunki!)
will find their own way, and others will need a little more help!
Deborah

---