Re: Masters

---------

From: Carolyn Keigley (Carolyn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 17:22:46 PDT

I got my Masters in Fine Arts (painting and drawing) before I considered teaching school. The program took two full years and was worth it as I was given the time to develop my art and critical and creative thinking. From my experience working with teachers over the years in public schools I have found that the training that one gets in the education departments tends to keep teachers in a box. Their confidence in creative thinking is very limited. However, art departments also have their weakness' especially when it comes to understanding the development stages in childrens' art.

Again that has been my experiences, hopefully there are art educators out there that teach about developmental stages that Lowenfeld wrote about in his book.

Money was not an issue for me. If it was I would never had considered education in any field.
C.K.