Re: How long did it take/masters for Alex

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 14 2002 - 19:00:54 PDT

  Hi
    I wanted to answer both of your questions...on the one of how long it took: Way back in the olden days (1971) when I tried to get a teaching job it took me 5 years, before I got a part time job which eventually developed into full time. Why? Those were the hippie days when everyone was an art major! :-) Now, we are all retiring. I have a bit to go yet, but in my school 23 teachers out of 85 retired this June, and in my district another 8 are leaving...Why? Because we are baby boomers who are still young enough to enjoy our lives at 55! So, hang in there, in the next 5 years, there will be sooooo many job openings as my generation makes it out of the cobra. (we were considered the pig in the cobra generation for all of you who wondered what the heck I was talking about!)

    As for my master's degree. The first time I tried to go back, I wanted to get my Master's in Fine Art, specifically in ceramics and fibers. Trouble was I couldn't balance my married life, my professional life and my artistic life and make everyone happy. So I put the Master's on hold until I was 43, more secure in all of those areas. I also changed my mind and got my Master's in Liberal Studies...by that time I had been writing poetry, doing costume design and an avid reader of Russell Banks' work and I wanted to write my thesis on his work...Yes I got a $10,000 pay raise for the Masters (went up a step and over a category--because the 1st attempt at a Master's gave me the +30 credits already), BUT more importantly I got to have a correspondance with Russell Banks and write my thesis on his work. (Oh, and during that time I also went back and got a teaching certificate in English, which has opened many more doors for me as well.)

  San D

---